Do you Know the Symptoms of Dog Heatstroke?
On these hot summer days it is up to you to know when your dog is getting overheated. Being the kids they are, you dog will get wrapped up in its fun and not realize what is happening. The sun can quickly cause heatstroke. The signs of heatstroke to look for:
- Profuse and rapid panting
- Usually fast noisy breathing
- Thick drooling saliva
- Wide, glassy eyes
- Bright red tongue
- Bright red or blue gums
You need to take immediate measures if you see any of the above signs of heatstroke.
- Place the dog in cool not cold water
- Take the dog into an air conditioned area
- Sponge cool water on their head and tummy areas
- Wet their tongue
- Turn a fan on them
- Offer small amounts of cool water every few minutes
- As soon as possible take them to your veterinarian